Doe Castle was built in the 15th century. Sometimes the date given is 1425.
The first or early occupants were the Mac-Sweeney’s. the Castle remained in their possession for about 200 years. The Mac-Sweeneys ruled the area’s of Rosguill (now Downing’s & Carrigart). Doe (now Creeslough & Dunfanaghy) Cloughaneely (now Falcarragh ) and Tory Island, from Doe Castle.
Sir Cahir O’Doherty had his headquarters here when he attack Derry 1608. The Mac Sweeneys are back by 1641 and Eoghan Rua O’Neill landed at Doe Castle on 6th July 1642 on his return fron Spain. Around 1660 an English garrison take possession of the castle but by the 1690’s the Mac Sweeneys are back.
The Castle changed hands many times over the years. One of the owners: George Vaghan Harte who bought the castle in 1800 left his initials (GVH) embedded on the wall above the door of the eastern entrance.
The Castle was occupied up until 1909. In 1932 the Irish Land Commission (Office of Public Works) bought the Castle and vested it as a National Monument. In recent years the castle has been restored to it former glory. Many legends and stories are told about the castle and the people that lived there. Only a 15 minute drive from The Lagoon Restaurant & Guesthouse.